Saturday, April 11, 2009

T R A S H


I was sitting in the Atlantic/Pacific station waiting for the 2 train when I decided to sketch out a trash can. I had to force myself to finish it because I just wasn't feeling it (shut up, I know I sound like a hippie). Then some art-hater stood in front of it and I couldn't see the recycling sticker. I thought it was the spirits of sketch telling me not to draw it. She moved and I trudged on with my feelingless sketch. I didn't pen it or write my word until days later. After I finished, I was glad I pushed myself. All my little excuses for not working on this sketch were put to shame. I really dig it!




Lets talk about trash for a minute. We all have it. We all hate it. Well not all of us... In fact I was a witness to some incredible dumpster diving just the other day. Took my daughter and some of her friends to LIC to see the awesome graffiti building, aka 5 pointz. We saw some divers who found a couple of sweet rolls of vinyl in red, black and yellow. A very good find because that stuff is pretty pricey. I'll admit I would have loved to grab one of those. Project ideas were flowing into my head like vinyl rivers with no end. I don't usually post photos, but I how could I resist this one? It is of a dumpster we saw at 5 pointz overflowing with discarded fabric. They are having an open studio on May 30th. Definitely check it out if you have the chance.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool sketch. I love the label and the contrast with the garbage can.

    ReplyDelete